I welded some stress cracks around where the steering column goes.
Ground them down.
Followed by some Epoxy Primer
Followed by some filler primer.
It is pretty pitted above the window, no photo taken, I hope the filler primer will fill the pits or it will be a whole lot more work.
I went ahead and finished sanding. Since it was ready for the next step and it does not take that long I went on to spray the 2K primer. Hours and hours getting it ready for 15-20 minutes of spraying. Even cleaning the gun after takes longer.
Still need to prime the door sills, inside roof, firewall, and dashboard. I did those last as they will be the first to be put into color.
I got the top of the cab ½ done. I had an appointment or I would have finished it. Oh well, something to do tomorrow.
It does not look it but it is smooth and flat, just what you want!
I put a couple coats of filler primer on this morning and some guide coat this afternoon. In theory I could sand it the same day but it clogs the sand paper really quickly. An extra day it seems to make it easier and less clogging, so that is the plan.
If you can live with the fact that you will expose large amounts of bare metal, meaning you will have to re-epoxy prime, you can go wild with the sanding blocks and sanders. I think, but can’t swear that I got all the dents address with glaze and primer. I did notice that the primer didn’t go on real even, wish I knew what was causing it. Came out dry at first then very wet, so it ran in spots. I was very careful to make sure it was evenly mixed, but maybe not? Had planned on following with filler primer but now I have to wait 18 to 24 hours to sand it, then filler prime. Spent a good 7 hours on it and get to do it again. Hope it goes better and faster because of todays work, fingers crossed.
Dang, I missed a dent between the rear window and right corner window. Wish I would have seen it so I could have added a little body filler. Found a few more as well, they are just really hard to see and feel until you get some primer on it. It had epoxy primer and a really heavy coat of filler primer on it.
I’m cheating a little on the dent betow the window. Don’t really have access to it from the rear to pound it out and if I use a stud welder I know I will have holes to deal with. So I just used a bit of body filler, deeper than I would prefer to use at the deepest. Maybe as much as an ⅛ inch but it seems to be the best option. The other filler you see is very thin, just as it should be.